Tips for a Smooth Recovery after Facelift Surgery
By David Passaretti, MD on November 25, 2014
There are few plastic surgery procedures that can equal face lift surgery in its ability to turn back the clock and transform a person’s appearance. When performed by a skilled, experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon such as David Passaretti, M.D., facelift surgery can dramatically rejuvenate the face without leaving any of the tell-tale signs of having undergone an invasive surgical procedure. Patients emerge from surgery looking years younger while still looking naturally beautiful.
While Dr. Passaretti and his team provide patients with the utmost in care and personal attention while they are in the confines of their state-of-the-art office, patients must take responsibility for their own healing while they are at home. Dr. Passaretti will provide them with clear, comprehensive instructions that they must follow carefully in order to ensure the most comfortable and speedy recovery possible. The more meticulous patients are in following these instructions, the smoother their recoveries will be and, ultimately, the better results they can expect to achieve.
During consultations between Dr. Passaretti and his patients at his office in Fairfield, facelift recovery tips are discussed in detail, along with post-surgical recovery instructions.
What to Expect Immediately after Surgery
Depending on the type of facelift you undergo, you may be required to stay in the hospital overnight after your surgery. Some patients experience nausea upon waking up after surgery, which can be controlled with medication. You should also expect to experience some discomfort, bruising, and swelling during the early stages of your recovery.
To help reduce bruising and swelling, your face will be bandaged immediately after your procedure. You may also have drainage tubes inserted behind your ears to prevent the build-up of fluids and blood under the skin. You will be prescribed pain medication to help control your discomfort once you are recovering at home. Antibiotics may also be prescribed to help prevent post-surgical infection.
Facelift Recovery Tips
The results of your facelift surgery should begin to become apparent during the first few weeks after your procedure. To help promote proper healing after your surgery, we suggest that you follow these facelift recovery tips:
- Follow all post-operative instructions provided to you by Dr. Passaretti to the letter.
- Do not engage in strenuous activities for the first six weeks after your facelift.
- You should keep your head elevated for the first few days after surgery, even when you are sleeping. This will help to keep swelling at a minimum.
- Drink plenty of fluids, as this will help to replace any fluids lost through surgery as well as help to keep swelling to a minimum.
- Keep all bandages dry.
- Do not bend over to pick up objects or overexert yourself, especially during the first few days of your recovery.
- Do not touch your facial skin, even to scratch an itch.
- Light walking is encouraged as soon as you feel up to it.
- Wear face and neck compression garments as instructed by Dr. Passaretti.
Learn More about Facelift Recovery
To learn more about the facelift recovery phase, please contact the plastic surgery practice of David Passaretti, M.D. today.
Related to This
"Thank you for making me look like a work of art! I sincerely appreciate everything that you’ve done for me."-Plastic Surgery Patient