Understanding Breast Reduction Side Effects
By David Passaretti, MD on May 24, 2016
Large breasts are often thought of as enviable, but when the weight of large, heavy breasts causes constant back and neck pain, it can leave many women wishing to reduce their bust line. If this sounds familiar, breast reduction surgery may be right for you. Breast reduction surgery can help reduce the size of burdensome, oversized breasts, improving confidence, comfort, and proportion. Before undergoing breast reduction surgery, it's important to understand the potential side effects and benefits associated with this procedure. For more information about breast reduction side effects, schedule a consultation with Fairfield, CT plastic surgeon David Passaretti.
The Side Effects of Breast Reduction Surgery
As with all plastic surgery procedures, breast reduction surgery comes with some potential side effects. In general, these side effects are a part of the healing process and tend to resolve as the body recovers. Some common side effects associated with breast reduction surgery include:
- Pain and discomfort: Soreness, pain, or discomfort can be expected after breast reduction surgery. Any pain or discomfort can often be managed with pain relievers approved by your surgeon.
- Bruising: Patients may notice some bruising around the breasts after surgery. Bruising generally fades within a week or two after surgery.
- Swelling: Swelling is a common side effect after breast reduction surgery and is to be expected. Swelling is a normal part of the healing process and should begin to go down as the body heals. However, swelling that becomes worse and is accompanied by pain or redness may be a sign of infection or other complication and should be brought to your surgeon's attention immediately.
- Scarring: Scars left by breast reduction surgery will vary depending on the method used during breast reduction surgery and personal healing. Although scars often occur, most breast reduction scars are easily hidden beneath a bra or bathing suit top.
The Benefits of Breast Reduction
The benefits of breast reduction surgery far outweigh the potential side effects associated with this procedure. Patients who undergo breast reduction surgery enjoy improved mobility and quality of life. Breast reduction surgery can help alleviate the back and neck pain that is associated with large, heavy breasts, as well as create a more proportionate profile. Some of the many benefits of breast reduction surgery include:
- Improved comfort
- Decreased back and neck pain
- Tops and blouses fit better
- Improved confidence
Candidates for Breast Reduction
Breast reduction surgery can help women who suffer from physical discomfort or self-consciousness due to large breasts. Ideal candidates for breast reduction surgery have large, sagging breasts, and are in good general health. It's important to note that breast reduction surgery is not just for women. Men who feel burdened or insecure about the size of their chest, such as those that suffer from gynecomastia, may also qualify as candidates for breast reduction surgery.
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Passaretti
To find out if breast reduction surgery is right for you, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Passaretti.
Related to This
"Thank you for making me look like a work of art! I sincerely appreciate everything that you’ve done for me."-Plastic Surgery Patient