Dimpling after Liposuction
By David Passaretti, MD on May 09, 2018
If you have been unsuccessful at eliminating stubborn pockets of fat through lifestyle changes, liposuction can be an excellent treatment option. However, like all surgical procedures, there is a risk for post-operative complications, including dimpling after liposuction.
Here, our team in Fairfield, CT discusses which patients are at risk, and how to prevent and address the problem.
Liposuction: A Brief Overview
Before we discuss how skin dimpling occurs, we will briefly review the liposuction procedure. During this treatment, small incisions are strategically placed. Through these incisions, a small tube, called a cannula, will be used to gently suction unwanted fat from the areas of concern. Finally, the incisions will be closed with surgical sutures.
What Causes Skin Dimpling after Liposuction?
There are a few reasons why skin dimpling may occur following liposuction. Some of the most common factors include:
- Uneven healing: During the procedure, use of the cannula can cause minor trauma to the surrounding tissues. This could lead to uneven healing. To prevent this from occurring, be sure to choose a skilled and experienced cosmetic surgeon to perform your procedure.
- Lack of skin elasticity: By nature, the skin has higher elasticity in younger patients. Individuals with poor elasticity may wish to consider some skin removal in addition to liposuction to achieve the desired results.
- Pre-existing cellulite: The appearance of cellulite can affect the final results of liposuction. Those with more cellulite typically have a higher risk of developing skin dimpling after liposuction.
- Large amounts of fat removal: Liposuction is meant to enhance the body’s contours; it is not a weight loss procedure. Therefore, patients who have large amounts of fat removed are more likely to develop dimpling or other skin irregularities following treatment.
- Weight fluctuations: Before undergoing liposuction, patients should be at a stable weight. Losing or gaining a significant amount of body weight contributes to a much higher risk for skin dimpling.
Treating Skin Dimpling after Liposuction
If you do develop skin dimpling following your liposuction procedure, there are a few treatment options that have been proven successful. These include:
- Massage: In many cases, unevenness or dimpling can be reduced through massage. This can soften and smooth any lumps, bumps, or irregularities.
- Laser treatments: If massage is unsuccessful, non-surgical laser therapy may be beneficial. This treatment can help eliminate dimpling and excess skin following liposuction.
- Surgery: If massage and laser therapy aren’t effective, surgery can be pursued as a last-resort option. Skin tightening can be achieved by removing excess skin and pulling remaining skin taut.
Preventing Skin Dimpling after Liposuction
While supplemental treatments can help eliminate skin dimpling, it is preferable to avoid this complication to begin with. There are a few tips that can help patients prevent dimpling and other irregularities following liposuction. For example:
- Keep your body weight stable. As aforementioned, weight loss or gain can lead to undesired skin abnormalities after liposuction. Patients should already be implementing a regular exercise routine and eating a healthy diet well before they schedule liposuction. It is also important to be aware of the changes that new medications can cause. For example, patients taking oral contraceptives could experience localized weight gain.
- Drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated is important for health and general wellness. Individuals who have undergone liposuction could experience puffiness or unevenness if they begin to retain excess fluid. Drinking plenty of water can help the body flush excess fat.
Contact Our Practice to Learn More
If you have undergone liposuction, or if you are considering the procedure, knowing what to expect can help you achieve your desired results. To learn more, schedule a consultation at our practice. You can call us at (203) 642-1891 or contact us online anytime.
Related to This
"Thank you for making me look like a work of art! I sincerely appreciate everything that you’ve done for me."-Plastic Surgery Patient