Flatten Your Midsection with a Tummy Tuck
Commonly referred to as a “tummy tuck,” abdominoplasty surgery treats laxity in the abdominal area by tightening the underlying musculature and eliminating excess skin. Significant weight loss and the effects of pregnancy can cause the skin and muscles to stretch, leaving undesirable bulges in the midsection. Abdominoplasty, offered at the Fairfield County office of plastic surgeon David Passaretti, is the preferred surgical solution. If you would like to schedule a consultation with Dr. Passaretti to discuss abdominoplasty, please contact our plastic surgery practice today.
Suitable candidates for abdominoplasty surgery have loose or hanging skin around the mid or lower abdomen, as well as weakened abdominal muscles, whether from weight fluctuation, pregnancy, or other factors. Dr. Passaretti can even provide pleasing results for patients who have undergone a C-section.
Setting Realistic Expectations
Candidates should be in good physical and mental health with reasonable expectations of the surgery. Abdominoplasty is not a weight loss surgery and should not be approached as such; candidates can look forward to a slimmer, flatter midsection after surgery, but should explore other body contouring procedures with Dr. Passaretti if they desire significant reduction of fat.
A Closer Look at Tummy Tuck
During Your Procedure
Dr. Passaretti will first ensure that the abdominoplasty patient is properly anesthetized. He makes an incision just under the lower abdomen and separates the skin from the underlying abdominal wall. He tightens the abdominal muscles, securing them with stitches. If included in the treatment plan, Dr. Passaretti may elect to use liposuction to remove pockets of fat from the area. After pulling the skin down and trimming any excess, he sutures the incision together. Scarring is minimal and should fade over time.
While you recover from your abdominoplasty, you will maintain regular visits with Dr. Passaretti to ensure that you are healing properly. Dr. Passaretti will provide you with explicit instruction on what to expect after surgery and what activities you should refrain from.
A Focus on Patient Education
Types of Abdominoplasty
In addition to traditional abdominoplasty surgery, the following options are available to patients who visit our Fairfield County practice:
- Circumferential Abdominoplasty: Often used for post-bariatric surgery patients (as it is a fairly extensive procedure), this tummy tuck is performed through an incision that spans the circumference of the waistline.
- Mini Abdominoplasty: Also known as a “scarless” tummy tuck, a mini tummy tuck is often suitable for patients who require only a small amount of abdominal fat and skin to be removed.
- Endoscopic Abdominoplasty: A minimally invasive procedure that utilizes special, tiny instruments - including a thin tube with a camera on the end - for reduced bleeding, swelling, and scarring. The endoscopic tummy tuck is best for patients with small amounts of excess skin.
- Extended Abdominoplasty: This procedure addresses excess skin around the sides of the midsection, including the flanks and hips.
Benefits of Abdominoplasty
The benefits of abdominoplasty include:
- A slimmer, sleeker midsection
- Reduction of excess loose or hanging skin
- Defined abdominal muscles
- Long-lasting results
To maintain the flattering results of abdominoplasty surgery, patients should avoid significant weight gain; this will stretch out the abdominal muscles and skin, reversing the effects of the procedure.
Helping Patients Achieve Their Goals
"Your artistry and giving heart has transformed my life. Yes I lost the weight but I never would have had the confidence that I have, had it not been for you."
Before you undergo abdominoplasty, you will, of course, need to consider its cost. Our team can help you determine the cost you will pay for your tummy tuck and help you consider its costs and benefits to make the best decision for you.
Our Patient Discusses Her Tummy Tuck
Personalized Surgical Care
For more information about abdominoplasty, contact the Fairfield County practice of David Passaretti, M.D. A friendly staff member would be pleased to schedule a personal consultation for you to meet with Dr. Passaretti and discuss how the procedure can help you meet your aesthetic goals.
"Thank you for making me look like a work of art! I sincerely appreciate everything that you’ve done for me."-Plastic Surgery Patient