Lip Augmentation for a Sexier Smile
Our Lip Augmentation Treatment Options
Lip augmentation involves using injectable fillers to increase the size of the lips and enhance the look of the entire face.
- Juvederm Ultra XC: Juvederm Ultra XC is a thick hyaluronic dermal filler designed to deliver significant volume to your lips, lasting approximately six months. The filler contains a small amount of anesthetic, which reduces pain during injections.
- Restylane Silk: This is an FDA-approved treatment specifically for lips and the lines around them. This treatment is a dermal filler containing hyaluronic acid, a compound naturally produced by the body. Restylane Silk injections can create plump, firm, and reshaped lips, with results lasting for roughly six months
- Collagen Injections: Collagen was the first filler approved by the FDA in 1981 for cosmetic injections. It is a very safe and reliable filler which produces smooth, natural results. Results, however, faded quickly, lasting on average only for two to three months. Newer hyaluronic acid based fillers such as Juvederm Ultra XC and Restylane Silk also provide very smooth and natural results. They last significantly longer, approximately six months, and have replaced collagen as the first line filler for lips.
- Fat Injections: Fat grafting is a new technique that has come to the forefront of plastic surgery within the last decade as a result of improved technology. While fat grafting is a technique Dr. Passaretti routinely uses in the breast and other areas of the body, he generally prefers synthetic fillers such as Juvederm Ultra XC or Restylane Silk for the lips. There are two issues with fat injections. First, the fat may not survive the transplantation and can create permanent scarring and lumps in the lips. Secondly, the fat that does survive is permanent. What looks appropriate at the age of 40 may create a lack of balance and distortion at the age of 60, as the face ages. For these reasons, Dr. Passaretti generally recommends hyaluronic acid fillers for the lips.
- Silicone Injections: Silicone is a smooth synthetic material which is generally well tolerated by the body. It is used in all kinds of artificial devices including breast implants, pacemakers, and joint replacements. It showed early promise as a filler of lips. It has, however, been banned by the FDA as a cosmetic injection because of widespread complications involving migration, embolization of blood vessels, and permanent granuloma formation and scarring.
- Lip Implants: These are generally small silicone sacs containing saline that are surgically placed in the lips. Likened to silicone injections, they have been shown to have significant complications, including infections and extrusions. Due to the rigidity, they also have a tendency to create a very unnatural look and feel.
To determine the type of lip injection that is right for you, we can review your unique characteristics and goals during a personal consultation.
Am I a Candidate for Lip Augmentation?
In order to qualify for lip augmentation, patients should be over the age of 18, in good overall health, and seeking to improve the shape, size, or volume of their lips. Patients will need to be over the age of 21 to qualify for certain injectable treatments.
Schedule a Personal Consultation Today
If you are dissatisfied with the appearance of your lips, Dr. Passaretti can use lip augmentation injections to enhance your lips for a more attractive look. When you visit our practice, we will custom-tailor treatment according to your unique needs and goals. Contact our office today or call us at (203) 642-1891 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Passaretti.
"Thank you for making me look like a work of art! I sincerely appreciate everything that you’ve done for me."-Plastic Surgery Patient