Surgical Scar Removal
If you have a conspicuous scar from a previous surgery that did not fade with time, Dr. David Passaretti can perform a revision surgery using advanced techniques to minimize the appearance of the scar. Surgical scar removal is performed at our private, full-service surgical facility in Darien, CT. Although there are several topical ointments, creams, and oils on the market—such as Vitamin E and silicone gel sheets—that claim to reduce the appearance of scars, lacerations, or moles, there is no scientific study to prove that these applications make a difference. Silicone gel sheets may help with scarring, but are typically only beneficial for patients with thick burn scars. Dr. Passaretti provides the only proven method with scar revision surgery.
Are You a Candidate?
Even when you follow your doctor’s detailed aftercare instructions after injury or surgery, scars can be unavoidable. They are also unpredictable in their size, shape, color, and texture. Scars can be raised, recessed, smooth, rough, or even appear red, purple, and darker in color. Surgical scar removal can be performed on patients of any age who have bothersome and unsightly scars anywhere on their body. The best candidates include patients who:
- Are in good overall physical health
- Are self-conscious about the appearance of their scars
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products
- Have realistic expectations
- Do not have a skin disease or acne near the scarring
During your initial consultation, Dr. Passaretti will perform a thorough examination, carefully reviewing your past and current medical conditions and surgeries to ensure you are a good candidate for this procedure. He will explain the procedure in detail, taking the time to answer any questions or concerns you may have. The overall healing process can take up to a year before you begin to see results, so it is important to understand that beforehand and be patient with your body as it recovers.
Although there are several topical ointments, creams, and oils on the market—such as Vitamin E and silicone gel sheets—that claim to reduce the appearance of scars, lacerations, or moles, there is no scientific study to prove that these applications make a difference.
What to Expect during the Procedure
Although dermatologists claim to reduce scars through certain techniques, they are unable to deliver the superior results that plastic surgeons can. Plastic surgeons have specialized training to access the deeper layers of the skin to smooth the skin’s texture and tone in order to reduce the appearance of scars.
The key to a successful surgical scar removal involves undergoing scar revision surgery, using plenty of sunscreen, and waiting patiently for your body to heal. Dr. Passaretti’s innovative technique to replace the old scar with a better-looking surgical scar involves a few simple steps:
- Anesthesia: Dr. Passaretti will provide anesthesia to ensure you are comfortable throughout the entire procedure.
- Incisions: Using special surgical techniques, Dr. Passaretti can minimize the tension on the surface of the skin. This will involve making the incisions parallel while also penetrating the deep layers of your skin to lift up and realign the underlying tissue causing tension. Once the scar tissue has been removed or realigned, he can tightly seal the skin closed to create a healthier incision line.
- Recovery: Once you have been released from our care, you will be given detailed at-home care instructions to follow to help keep the surgical site clean. The skin and wound edges should remain clean and healthy to ensure the scar successfully fades. Over the course of several follow-up appointments, Dr. Passaretti will monitor your recovery to ensure you are healing smoothly. He may also recommend non-surgical skin treatments to assist you in your recovery.
Contact Us to Learn More
If you are unhappy with the appearance of scars from a previous injury or surgery, Dr. Passaretti can provide minimally invasive surgical scar removal. Call our office at (203) 656-9999 or contact our office online today to schedule your consultation.
"Thank you for making me look like a work of art! I sincerely appreciate everything that you’ve done for me."-Plastic Surgery Patient